Look to the Source: Nānā I Ke Kumu
In this video series, our host Chef Mark “Gooch” Noguchi leads us on a journey from past to present and farm to table, sharing stories as we nānā i ke kumu (look to the source). Discover the origins of pa‘akai (salt), which was once harvested in Kaka‘ako, and how to prepare mouthwatering dishes with our local culinary pioneers.
Episode 3: Nourishment from Kalauao Springs
Episode 2: Fresh from the Ocean
Episode 1: Look to the Source: Pa‘akai
To celebrate the launch of Look to the Source, Redfish Poke Bar is offering Sumida Watercress Ohitashi Poke for a limited time only during the series premiere from September to October. Fresh ‘ahi is tossed with ʻalaea salt, simmered Sumida watercress, ginger, onion, green onion, and house tsuyu, then garnished with sesame seeds and bonito for a delightful mix of greens that complements the sea-sourced ingredients.
Get a behind-the-scenes look at the video series with host Chef Mark Noguchi and Producer Alan Tang.
Y. Hata – Supporting Local Food Production and Next Gen Hawai‘i Chefs
It’s been said that to understand who we are, we must understand where we come from.
For third generation family-owned foodservice distributor Y. Hata & Co. Limited, this concept has been central since the company’s founding in 1913 by Yoichi Hata as a backyard operation in Hilo. From its modest beginnings to its current position as one of the state’s largest foodservice distributors – with operations on O‘ahu, Hawai‘i Island and Kaua‘i – Y. Hata and ChefZone, its cash-and-carry wholesale division, continue to provide restaurants and food service operators with the highest quality products and ingredients.
Supporting their ‘Ohana (employees) and community is at the heart of Y. Hata’s company culture. In addition, as a locally owned organization, they are committed to sustainability, protecting Hawai‘i’s environment, and supporting local farming and food production.
With as many as 10 climate zones, approximately 1.93 million acres* zoned for agriculture, and a bountiful ocean surrounding its archipelago, Hawai‘i can produce a large diversity of food for culinary use. Yet 90 percent of our food is imported, with the remaining 10 percent grown locally. Y. Hata supports efforts to increase local food production as well as responsible consumption to maximize food utilization and minimize waste.
“If you understand what makes Hawai‘i special, you understand why Hawai‘i is the culinary capital of the world,” says Chris Lee, Director of Oahu Broadline Sales, Y. Hata & Co. Limited. “We’re proud to help showcase local food producers, farmers and fishermen, and bring their stories to the forefront of island cuisine.”
Building a sustainable foodservice industry is also key for Y. Hata, which provides culinary scholarships to the next generation of island chefs and financially supports the development of the Culinary Institute of the Pacific. In addition, the company donates nearly 380,000 pounds of food each year to Aloha Harvest and the Hawai‘i Food Bank to help feed Hawai‘i families in need.